Monday, November 7, 2011

Industry: Awesome Soundtrack

So, here is a musing I have been working on for some time. Has anyone else noticed the recent trend in a band, writing and creating entire soundtracks for movies? Now I will say that I cannot recall things like this happening some time ago, but I'm not old. I could use the input from some older people. However, I have noticed in the last several years this happening, and being both awesome and succesful.

Where the Wild Things Are--Arcade Fire and Karen O
Tron: Legacy--Daft Punk
The Social Network--Trent Reznor
Hanna--Chemical Brothers

"Wild Things" soundtrack was nominated for a Golden Globe
Tron was nominated for best soundtrack by the Central Ohio and Los Vegas Film Critics, but let's get serious, it was sweet (and had one of the cooler cameos I think I've ever seen...)
Reznor won the Oscar (I disagree with the choice myself, but still, it helps my theory here)
Hanna is still pretty new, but has already been nominated for a "World Soundtrack Award"

Another interesting thing to note is that some of the soundtracks are really great on their own, namely Arcade's work on Wild Things, and others, while balling with the movie, where "meh" independently. I left the theatre after Hanna super excited about the soundtrack, went home and got it, then decided I never needed to listen to it again (without the movie that is, which I bought).

So that's that for now. Throw some more out there if you know them, especially older older things, curious if this really is a new trend or if it's something that's happened before.

No comments:

Post a Comment